How to make Smart TV out of ordinary TV using a set-top box, smartphone, tablet, media player – instructions and explanations. If you pay attention to the functionality and technical features of modern TVs, then most modern models already have one or another built-in Smart TV OS.
- Ways to Connect Legacy TVs to Smart TV Capabilities
- Purpose of the media player
- Pros and cons of using media players to turn an old TV into a modern Smart TV
- Criteria for choosing a media player
- Is it possible to make a TV box from a smartphone for use with old TVs
- Which is better for Smart TV: smartphone or game console
- Microsoft Xbox 360
- Sony PS-3
- Blue Ray Players
- How to turn normal TV into Smart TV using a tablet
- Connecting a tablet via Wi-Fi
- Connecting a set-top box to an old TV
Ways to Connect Legacy TVs to Smart TV Capabilities
If a person has a simple TV without connecting to Smart TV, and it is quite working, then due to the lack of an Internet connection and the ability to install applications, you should not rush and change it to a more expensive model. There are many options on how to make Smart TV out of a simple TV:
- using Smart TV Box equipment; [caption id="attachment_8036" align="aligncenter" width="512"] Android Smart TV Box
- by using a TV Stick media player;
- when using a miracast adapter (connection via phone);
- game console use.
Purpose of the media player
If the house has a network media player, then its owner must understand the general rules for using this device. If the player was just purchased, then there is an instruction from the manufacturer for it. It is important to study in advance which smart functions this device can support. Previously, media players had the function of connecting the player via USB, but now modern options support connection via Wi-Fi and many other ways. The use of a media player allows you to expand the functionality of the TV. Additionally, you can count on improving the acoustic settings.
The player has many features that are required to watch high-quality video in a format not lower than HD. Viewing options are provided, of which there are even more than from this list, for example, watching videos from a smartphone, movies, music videos are available. You can also, if desired, use the set-top box to view media stores, listen to music, and have access to virtual content and documents. On the TV, as on a temporary media device, all the same files and programs that are in modern phones will be perfectly displayed.
Pros and cons of using media players to turn an old TV into a modern Smart TV
The media player has its own special advantages, but there are also disadvantages. Before buying equipment, decide whether it is worth spending money on it. \
- affordable price;
- most audio and video formats can be played, many modules and enhancements are available;
- WLAN wireless local technology available;
- can be connected to a hard drive or other external gadget.
In addition, a device designed to organize smart TV in an old TV is familiar to manage, especially if it works on an android system. It will not be difficult to configure it yourself and connect it to the interactive menu. The downside is that the media device will not read Blue-Ray discs.
Criteria for choosing a media player
Due to the fact that there is a variety of different models of media players, it is worth looking at the most modern options with the best technical characteristics. The media player must have a connector for connecting equipment via USB. It is also advisable to choose a device with an OS in Russian, and then the setting will be clearer. Be sure to check which connections your media device supports. If it has an input for audio equipment under “S / PDIF”, then you should safely take this model. It is also desirable that there be a reader for information from a memory card. Most often, media players are found without hard drives. Devices with hard drives are also on sale, but they are very outdated. However, by choosing a model without a hard drive, you can solve the problem by connecting another source of information storage to the media player or inserting a memory card into the device.
Worth knowing! When deciding how to make the set-top box work on an old TV without HDMI support, it is important to find similar adapters with the necessary inputs and outputs for the TV connector.
Is it possible to make a TV box from a smartphone for use with old TVs
It is quite possible to connect a mobile phone to the TV , and in several ways – one of them will definitely fit one or another smartphone model. First use Wi-Fi or an adapter.
Before upgrading a regular TV into an interactive smart TV, you need to purchase the following devices:
- TV or Plasma . It is desirable that the device has an output for HDMI multimedia. Also, instead of a connector for a digital connection, you can use a Wi-Fi adapter. There is also the option of using other types of connectors, but for them you will need to buy additional adapters.
- Mobile phone running Android or iOS . These devices just have the necessary mini or micro HDMI ports. Even if these ports are not available, this does not mean that the phone is not suitable for connecting Smart TV to a TV.
- Adapters and cables . With the help of these tools, you can make a full-fledged Smart TV set-top box powered by the Internet from an android smartphone or iPhone.
- Laser mouse, gamepad, remote control or keyboard . One of these devices will be required to control Smart TV and on-screen settings. The remote control can be connected via a USB adapter or via Bluetooth.
Regarding the smartphone, new or old models are suitable for connection. It is enough that the connectors work in them. Even a smartphone model with an already low-quality battery, which quickly sits down, is suitable.
Important! A smartphone as a replacement for a smartbox is not suitable if its battery or screen is faulty and does not turn on. This device cannot be used to control the TV.
How to make a smart set-top box using an Android phone:
- You can broadcast the smartphone screen on TV using the set-top box. You will need adapter cables or Wi-Fi if your TV supports it.
- To connect to the network and display the picture from the smartphone screen on the TV, you should use WiFi Direct. For the iPhone, there is a separate application that helps to display the picture on TV – this is “Video & TV Cast”.
- If there is no wireless connection, then purchase a Chromecast or Miracast adapter. Connect this unit to a TV using the HDMI media jack.
- Go to WiFi Direct, but if there is no application, then download it to your smartphone. From the TV to connect, it is important to activate the application also so that it can be paired with the android system.
There is another way to successfully turn a simple TV at home into a smart TV is to connect the device via a wire:
- Not every modern phone has a mini / micro HDMI port, but an HDMI TV. Purchase an adapter between these devices.
- The USB port of the smartphone can also be used in the connection. It will require an MHL adapter. Some MHL models allow you to connect your phone to a TV using a direct connection, some will still require a USB adapter. A smartphone is recognized as a flash drive if it is simply connected via USB. The MHL connector simply duplicates the image from the phone screen to the plasma.
- You can connect USB phone port and HDMI port if you connect them via MHL media interface. For a TV port, you need a specific MHL media, otherwise the displayed picture on the screen will be of poor quality.
- If there is no HDMI port, you should purchase an AV adapter. The quality of the HDMI-AV signal is degraded, but the Smart TV connection is still activated.
- If you use an iPhone, then the connection through an adapter is similar. For Apple phone models, it is better to use a 30-pin – AV or Lightning – AV adapter with HDMI support.
Connect peripheral devices to control Smart TV remotely. Try using a Bluetooth adapter. Even a laser mouse, joystick or keyboard will do. If there is no Bluetooth module, even gaming headphones will fit on the TV through a standard headset connector. First, you should find out whether it is possible, in principle, to make Smart TV out of an ordinary TV using a simple phone. If this method fails, then you can use a tablet or set-top box. How to connect peripheral devices from your phone:
- Select Settings > Devices > Bluetooth & More. Turn on Bluetooth on your smartphone, this will pair the technology with your mobile device.
- The picture from the mobile device should be displayed on the TV screen if you connect the smartphone via USB to the TV.
- If it was not possible to connect the phone to the TV, then try to do this through the smartphone-to-TV conversion programs.
Which is better for Smart TV: smartphone or game console
If you have an extra smartphone or mouse, you can try using this set of devices. Before connecting a smart set-top box, it is important to study the information that a smartphone is also suitable for organizing Smart TV at home. There are other options. The good old video consoles will help in solving this problem, since their settings are comparable to the activation of smart TV. It is not necessary to call the master at home, because there is an easy option on how to make Smart TV from a regular TV using a set-top box. The method has its pros and cons, but if you have a prefix at home, then you can try this method.
Microsoft Xbox 360
The functionality of the game console is in any case limited when compared with a media box, or the same tablet or phone. Also, for some applications you will have to pay money. If you have a console at home, such as the Microsoft Xbox 360, then the registration itself is important. Without a profile, you won’t be able to sign up for an Xbox Live account. If there is a desire to connect Smart TV, then it is important to adjust the console to the TV. Before you make a Smart TV out of a simple TV using a set-top box, you should find out the information that says that Microsoft Xbox does not allow you to copy the video format to your HDD media. But video in DVD format, CD from flash drives can be played. All popular video and audio formats will be supported on the device. Information! It is important to always update the recommended changes in the system from the Windows media center (DLNA format).
Another interesting way to make a smart TV out of an ordinary TV is to use the Sony PS-3 – a free resource with a video format product. In this option, it is also possible to store media materials. The drive is in HDD format. The Sony PS-3 console cannot play music or videos larger than 4 GB. But videos from DVD, CD, Blue-Ray will open. However, their size should also not exceed 4 GB and the picture quality should not exceed 1080 pixels.
Blue Ray Players
Home TVs without Smart TV on board can be set up using a Blue-Ray player. Such devices are expensive, but they also have great functionality. Using the player gives the following range of functionality to the user:
- support for almost all formats and codecs of video, audio;
- WLAN – a ready-made built-in module;
- DLNA are already available options in the player;
- “Smart” and WI-Fi connections;
- applications and access to interactive space.
With this set-top box, you can watch movies in the best quality, videos from the Internet without any problems. Some models are equipped with the ability to download the necessary applications from the market. When combined with RCA, it is advisable to independently transfer the TV receiver to AV mode, since this connection cannot be automatic. It needs to be tuned to the decoder, unlike the SCART mode. You can also use adapters for SCART or RCA connectors. In the kit to the player, these wires are often already included.
Connecting the player via SCART or RCA interfaces, the picture on the screen looks not quite clear. The same result is obtained when an HDMI connection is used. Additionally, an RCA-SCART or HDMI-SCART adapter must be used. Through these interfaces, you can make a smart TV out of a TV using the simplest set-top box at home. The main thing is not to forget to purchase a cord with a connector for this type of player.
Worth knowing! Too cheap adapters can cause interference when playing files.
Before buying a Blue-Ray, it is important to make sure that you can install the appropriate connectors on your TV. If you know the algorithm for how to set up a TV using a set-top box, then you can not buy additional smart equipment. First, check all required ports for operability. Without this nuance, the modes necessary for smart television will not function. If you need to frequently communicate on the Internet or actively conduct interactive surfing, then it is better to purchase a media player with a convenient remote control. Suitable for this any tablet PC or smartphone.
How to turn normal TV into Smart TV using a tablet
Using an old tablet PC, an Android system can be installed on the TV, which can be configured as desired in the future. You can transfer the interface to a TV from a smartphone.
What connection options are available:
- you can connect the tablet via USB;
- connect via HDMI interface through an adapter;
- VGA interface – with it you can connect a monitor. However, there is a minus – the sound will have to be output separately through the speakers;
- Using a wireless Wi-Fi network, you can connect your tablet to a TV.
If the system is on an Android tablet, then you can turn on Smart TV via Miracast. This allows you to directly transfer the image from your phone to the TV screen. Before turning a tablet into a smart TV on a TV, it is important to know that just connecting is not enough, special programs are needed.
Important! If the Internet is lost on the tablet / smartphone or other problems occur, then the Internet connection and the picture will disappear on the TV.
Connecting a tablet via Wi-Fi
Wi-Fi Direct allows you to transfer data wirelessly directly to a device with a screen. To connect the tablet to the TV screen via Wi-Fi, you need the Miracast protocol. The advantage of the method is that you do not need to include the tablet and TV in a single network, using the router as a conductor to combine all devices. Devices can automatically connect to each other, since there is a P2P connection in connection via Wi-Fi. All you need is technology support in TV and tablet. If the TV does not have P2P, then dongles are used, which are connected as standard to the HDMI port. The cost of the dongle adapter is approximately $50. https://gogosmart.pro/texnika/televizor/texnology/wi-fi-direct.html Using wi-fi, you can optionally connect to Smart TV on an android system from a tablet. It is also important to use a tablet with OS Android from 4.2 Jelly Bean to connect. Connection principle:
- Go to Smart TV settings. There you need to click on the word “Setting”.
- Miracast, find the Network configured in the item. This setting is also sometimes referred to as Screen Mirroring.
- Open the Settings item on the tablet, and connect the Wi-Fi mode.
- Activate the wireless display. This setting is in the context menu. It is called “Screen mirroring”, “Wireless Display”.
- Now click on the name with the tablet model. Confirmation of connection to the Android system is important.
- The TV will display the same screen as the tablet connected to it.
Information!. In order to configure the menu to disable the connection via the Internet, you will need to click on the TV model in the connection menu on the tablet and confirm the task.
Connecting a set-top box to an old TV
In fact, it is more difficult to connect the set-top box to an old TV, but this task can be done. There are two connection methods – a tulip adapter and an HDMI with a converter. To connect the Smart function to a TV, it is important to prepare a Smart TV set-top box that has an AV port in advance. You will also need an RCA cable with a Jack 3.5 adapter. The tv box has a specific AV connector and you can easily establish a connection with it. Take a cable with a 3.5 jack tulip connector and insert it into this port. Connect three tulips to the back of the TV – all shades must match on the connectors. Use the remote control to turn on the AV mode on the TV.
In the absence of AV connectors, you cannot do without a Smart TV set-top box. This will require a different type of connector – HDMI and a cable to it – “tulip”. You will also need an HDMI converter.
- Connect the RCA “tulip” adapter to the TV so that the connectors and HDMI converters match in color.
- Connect the HDMI cable to the converter socket on the game console.
- After turning on the TV, activate the playback of the picture through the AV pinout.
Most people who regret that they rushed to buy the coveted flat and thin TV with no connection to Smart TV do not even suspect that this feature can be implemented on almost any TV. It is also worth considering that TVs with built-in Smart TV will cost more, and it is better not to spend money, but try to connect using one of the above methods. Sometimes it happens that the built-in Smart TV can be limited in some way in terms of its technical functionality.