Not everyone can afford to go to the cinema, and not everyone needs it. Therefore, many people watch movies at home, on TV, but the power of the built-in speakers is not enough, so they have to connect the speakers. This raises the question of how to do this? There are many different ways, one of which is optical cable.
- 1 What is an optical cable for connecting acoustics
- 2 How to connect an optical cable to the TV and to the speaker system – instructions
- 3 Tips for buying an optical cable
- 4 Optical output on TV
- 5 What are the acoustics for a TV
- 6 Prices for quality optical cables
What is an optical cable for connecting acoustics
An optical cable generates a digital audio signal and transmits it. The cable amplifies the TV signal, thereby making it louder, and then transmits it so that we can hear it. You can use a coaxial cable, but optical has more positive sides. For example: it reduces signal loss, and it also behaves much better over long distances.
How to connect an optical cable to the TV and to the speaker system – instructions
Turn off the TV before connecting!
To connect acoustics using an optical cable, you can use this instruction:
- First, find on the back or side of the TV a connector with one of the indicated inscriptions (different TVs have it differently): Optical Audio, Digital Audio, Toslink. Then plug in the first end of the cable.
Important! The recommended length of the wire should be no more than 5 meters, then the sound will be transmitted without interference and its loss will be excluded.
Optical cable for connecting speakers to the TV should be no longer than 3-5 meters [/ caption]
- Locate the Digital Audio IN jack on your speaker, then connect the other end of the cable.
- Specify the source of your choice, the default is D.IN. Then go to the settings section on the TV, select the section “sound”, “speaker setting”, “select speaker”. Select “external receiver”, “optical output”.
Connecting additional audio amplifiers
Using an optical cable, you can connect different types of acoustics to the TV. The speaker system can be active and passive. How to connect speakers, headphones, 5.1 acoustics to your TV: https://youtu.be/UjSVYNefUwU An active speaker system is very easy to stand out from others. It has a volume control and a power cord. An example of active acoustics are computer speakers. Active acoustics are usually connected to the headphone jack.
Powered speaker system [/ caption] Some speakers have an optical input connector, which can be found under the Digital IN label. To connect such speakers to a TV, an optical cable is required. The advantages of active speakers are that they perfectly transmit sound without cutting its quality, they also increase the volume at a decent level. The only drawback is that they do not reproduce low frequencies well. Passive speaker system – differs from the previous one by the absence of a built-in amplifier, because of this, you have to connect a separate unit. When connecting an amplifier, you should pay attention to which speaker it is intended for. For the left – left, for the right – right.
Passive speaker system [/ caption] The amplifier is connected using screw clamps, after which the whole system is connected to the TV via HDMI, but if there is no such connector, it is connected through the existing connectors. How to connect speakers to a TV through tulips and an optical audio output using an optical to analog RCA converter: https://youtu.be/z2TVhFH1lys
How to connect Yandex station to TV using HDMI
Yandex Station is a smart system that allows you to control your TV using your voice. There is a large and a small station. To connect a small station, it is enough to use a bluetooth connection, but you will now find out how to connect a large one. The set with the station comes with HDMI wires, which must be connected to the TV, or set-top boxes to the corresponding connector. After that, you can use Alice with your voice.
Yandex station [/ caption]
Tips for buying an optical cable
Here are some tips and tricks to follow before purchasing an optical cable. After all, all this affects both its durability and the quality of sound reproduction.
- It is advisable to buy thicker cables, as they are more tenacious.
- You should not save on the cable, as the more expensive and high-quality ones have a nylon sheath, which provides additional protection.
- Pay attention to the bandwidth of the cable, the more sound it can transmit, the better. I pass good cables from 9 to 11 MHz.
- It is also advisable to buy cables with a glass core, since they are of better quality than plastic ones.
Optical cable sectional [/ caption]
Optical output on TV
To improve the audio signal on TVs, a fiberglass cord has been developed to transmit light signals over long distances. Thanks to this, the sound is transmitted at the highest level. This is due to the lack of influence of electromagnetic light on the transmitted signal. The transmitters are LEDs, and the receiver is a photodetector with an amplifier that recovers the distorted signal.
What is it used for
Uses the optical output to stream sound from the TV to the speakers. With the help of it, it becomes possible to receive and process a sound signal with acoustics. For this to happen, there must be a special Optical OUT connector. The main task is to provide quality sound.
Optical OUT [/ caption] Most light transmission devices support data transmission:
- Use an electrical signal to convert it into an optical signal.
- The sound is transmitted unchanged, the only thing is that its volume changes to a stronger one.
- Optical signal reception.
- Conversion of an optical signal into an electrical one.
Important! No matter how good the cable is, it will work at full capacity only with high-quality equipment, then you can load it with different tasks and it will cope with them perfectly.
What are the acoustics for a TV
Many acoustic devices have been created over the years, each different from the last. But despite this set – all systems are divided according to certain parameters:
- The purpose of the application.
- Active and passive.
- Connection method.
The design is responsible for the sound of the system. A lot of design solutions related to the shape of the device are used in the design, but 3 forms are still subdivided:
The best sound quality is given by rectangular speakers. The enclosures are also divided into closed ones and with a phase inverter. The first type is the most common and can be seen on most speakers. The second is used on subwoofers.
Connection variations depending on the type of speakers
Speakers are divided into two types: wired and wireless. If everything is clear with wireless – connected to bluetooth and control it through another device, then with wired things are much more interesting. There are a lot of different ways to connect wired speakers. Everything is limited only by the connectors that are present on the speaker and your cords that you have in stock. A very common method for connecting acoustics to a TV is optics-HDMI.
HDMI vs Optical cable for connecting speakers to TV via optical audio output [/ caption]
How to connect fiber to a TV
Before connecting, the cable must be routed correctly. The main thing is that it is 10-15 cm longer than the distance from the TV to the speakers. After you have laid the cable, you need to find a special connector, which is usually labeled as: Optical Audio, Optical Digital Audio Out, SPDIF, or Toslink. Connect your cable using this port.
Now let’s get into your audio system. Find the same connector on it and connect the cable to it. When all these actions have been done, turn on the TV and your system. If there is a sound, then the connection was successful.
If there is no sound – check that the volume level on the TV and on the speakers is not equal to 0.
Prices for quality optical cables
The approximate cost for cables of certain characteristics, we will also compare different models and select the most suitable one. It is important not to forget to use the cable selection criteria discussed earlier. Popular models:
- Subscriber optical cable Alpha Mile FTTx , which consists of a steel rod and consists of fiberglass. Designed for laying attics, basements, it is also possible to lay between houses. For its mineral size, the fibers are quite resistant to mechanical damage and deformation. It has a rounded shape, due to which friction during its laying is almost completely eliminated. A similar cable will cost about 6,500-7,500 rubles per kilometer. In short coils, it is used for connecting home acoustics and TV.
- Optical cable SNR-FOCA-UT1-04, for combining communication lines between buildings. The cable is equipped with a central optical module that contains the fibers. Hydrophobic gel inside – protects the fiber from hydrogen. It will cost about 18,000-20,500 rubles per kilometer.