The second multiplex or RTRS-2 is the Russian Television and Radio Broadcasting Network-2, a free package of digital television channels. It is transmitted almost throughout the entire territory of the Russian Federation, with the exception of sparsely populated or hard-to-reach areas. The third multiplex or RTRS-3 is currently being prepared for launch.
Second digital multiplex
Digital broadcasting of the package of the second multiplex was carried out in each region of the Russian Federation during 2019. It covers more than 98% of the entire country. For remote and sparsely populated areas, viewing of channels is possible using satellite television.
What channels are included in RTRS-2?
The channels included in the second multiplex, from 2012 to 2015, were competitively selected by the Federal Commission for Television and Radio Broadcasting. Their list was approved by Roskomnadzor:
- “Muz TV”;
These are mainly specialized or entertainment channels.
The specificity of RTRS-2 is that it does not include radio broadcasting.
The channels included in the second multiplex received
operating frequencies in the decimeter range from 470 MHz to 862 MHz. To configure the reception of a package of TV channels, also use the following technical characteristics:
- basic format – DVB-T2;
- the current standard definition format is SDTV;
- working frequency of broadcasting – 498 MHz.
For signal reception in each region, different frequencies are used in the range from 471 to 950 MHz, that is, from 21 to 80 television channels with an assigned frequency section. The correspondence is shown in the table below. Use its data when setting up a second multiplex in your region. It is enough to know the number of the channel on which the digital signal is broadcast, and enter its number when searching:
|Channel No.||Center frequency (MHz)||Center wavelength (cm)|
Third multiplex – launch in 2020
RTRS-3 continues the line of digital TV channel packages received throughout the country.
When and where is the launch planned?
The launch of the broadcasting of the third multiplex in the Russian Federation is planned for 2020-2021. Currently, viewing of the pilot version of the RTRS-3 digital package is available to residents of Moscow and the Moscow region at a frequency of 578 MHz (34 television channel).
The Republic of Crimea is already broadcasting its own third multiplex. The package includes several local broadcasting channels.
Which channels will be included in the third multiplex?
It is not possible to say definitely which channels will be included in the third package. Both central and regional television channels can enter. Roskomnadzor has issued licenses for the right to broadcast in the third multiplex to more than 40 TV and radio companies. List of channels that are broadcast in Moscow:
|Position||Name||Channel number||Frequency (MHz)||Broadcast time|
|one||Sport 1||34||578||Around the clock|
|2||Sport 2||34||578||00: 00-06: 00|
|Fight club||34||578||06: 00-12: 00|
|My planet||34||578||12: 00-18: 00|
|Science 2.0||34||578||18: 00-00: 00|
|3||Russian novel||34||578||00: 00-05: 00|
|Russian bestseller||34||578||05: 00-10: 00|
|Russian detective||34||578||10: 00-15: 00|
|History||34||578||15: 00-20: 00|
|Cartoon||34||578||20: 00-00: 00|
|4||Sundress||34||578||00: 00-12: 00|
|A country||34||578||12: 00-00: 00|
|5||Living planet||34||578||00: 00-06: 00|
|IQ HD (SD quality)||34||578||06: 00-09: 00|
|24 Dock||34||578||09: 00-12: 00|
|Techno 24||34||578||12: 00-15: 00|
|Mum||34||578||15: 00-18: 00|
|NST||34||578||18: 00-21: 00|
|Amusement park||34||578||21: 00-00: 00|
|6||Moscow. The trust||34||578||00: 00-12: 00|
|Euronews||34||578||12: 00-00: 00|
|7||Music of the First||34||578||08: 30-01: 30|
|Home Cinema||34||578||01: 30-02: 30|
|Time||34||578||02: 30-04: 30|
|Telecafe||34||578||04: 30-06: 30|
|Beaver||34||578||06: 30-08: 30|
|8||365 days of TV||34||578||00: 00-02: 00|
|TNT-Comedy||34||578||02: 00-04: 00|
|Lots of TV||34||578||04: 00-06: 00|
|HD Life (SD quality)||34||578||06: 00-08: 00|
|STV||34||578||08: 00-10: 00|
|India tv||34||578||10: 00-12: 00|
|Fighter||34||578||12: 00-14: 00|
|Comedy TV||34||578||14: 00-16: 00|
|La Minor||34||578||16: 00-18: 00|
|Male cinema||34||578||18: 00-20: 00|
|Kitchen TV||34||578||20: 00-22: 00|
|Auto Plus||34||578||22: 00-00: 00|
|nine||LifeNews||34||578||Around the clock|
There are about 40 channels in total, but not all of them have round-the-clock broadcasting. In the package, their schedule is drawn up in accordance with the broadcast time of 10 channels throughout the day.
What are the startup problems?
To start the operation of RTRS-3 throughout Russia, it is necessary to solve a number of tasks:
- Selection of channels . The main criteria that they must meet:
- the possibility of analog broadcasting;
- high ratings from viewers;
- a large share of original content, the creation of your own programs, series, cycles of copyright products;
- stable receipt of cash flows at the present time, no financial problems in the future;
- the possibility of round-the-clock broadcasting.
- Free frequencies . Currently, many of them are occupied with regional analogue channels. The problem will be solved with the termination of analogue broadcasting by the announced date of June 3, 2020.
- Funding . The participation of budgetary sources of various levels is planned in the amount of 70-80%. There is a possibility that the entire third multiplex will be paid.
- The ability to broadcast regional channels . The termination of analogue broadcasting will deprive many local TV and radio companies of the opportunity to air. A method is being developed to include regional and regional canals in the third multiplex.
How to connect and configure the second / third multiplex?
The order of setting up the TV for receiving the second or third multiplex depends on the type of TV receiver. If you have a digital TV that accepts the digital DVB-T2 format, the channel tuning is carried out according to the standard sequence described in the user manual. You don’t need to purchase additional digital equipment.
Check if your TV receiver accepts a signal of the required format in the instructions for your device. The equipment is also marked with the “DVB-T2” logo.
For digital receivers that do not accept
the DVB-T2 format , or for analog TVs, an additional decimeter set-top box is required. Consider the following when choosing it:
- look for the “DVB-T2” logo on the set-top box;
- the set-top box must have control buttons “Start” and switching channels;
- check if there are RCA and HDMI outputs for connecting to a TV, USB connector for connecting a flash drive or hard disk;
- sometimes an additional adapter to the SCART connector is required if the TV does not have RCA and HDMI;
- the device must have an RCA-RCA cable, a separate power adapter;
- it is desirable that the size of the control panel of the attachment is convenient for use;
- playback sound support format – Dolby Digital, multimedia formats – MPEG-4 (AVC / H.264), USB PVP, SD / HD and others.
Antenna for signal reception can be collective decimeter. In its absence, if you are at a close distance from the TV tower, a room decimeter antenna is sufficient. If you are far away, a TV signal amplifier is needed
Connecting and configuring a second multiplex:
- If the set-top box is not needed (the TV has a built-in DVB-T2 tuner):
- Disconnect the TV from the power supply.
- Connect the antenna cable to the antenna input of the TV receiver.
- Connect the TV to the mains and turn it on.
- Turn on the digital tuner via the menu using settings.
- Follow the instructions provided with your TV to tune channels automatically or manually.
- When connecting with a prefix :
- Disconnect the TV set from the power supply.
- Connect the antenna cable to the antenna input on the digital set-top box. Connect the RCA-RCA cable to the connectors on the TV and set-top box according to the color coding. If you are using an HDMI cable, the picture quality will be improved.
- Connect the TV to the power supply, turn it on.
- Select the appropriate input source for the cable connection: HDMI, AV, SCART, etc.
- Search for digital channels in automatic or manual mode according to the user manual for your device.
Setting up digital channels using the example of a Samsung TV is shown in the video:
Digital television in Russia is developing, the number of broadcast channels is increasing. 20 television and radio broadcasting channels are broadcast in digital format as part of the first and second multiplexes. Connecting a third multiplex will significantly expand broadcasting capabilities.