Such a parameter as the refresh rate of the TV screen is decisive for those who want to use technology safely for their eyesight and receive a high-quality image. The sweep frequency (hertz) is indicated in the instructions for any TV or monitor, as it determines whether it will be comfortable to work or watch programs for a long time. In order to make the right choice, it is recommended to carefully study all the features, make a comparison by hertz. This will help you understand which indicator is optimal for a particular user.
- 1 What is the sweep frequency, what are we talking about, what types of hertz are used in TVs
- 2 What affects the hertz in TVs
- 3 Does the refresh rate affect performance?
- 4 Which TV screen refresh rate is best for the eyes
- 5 Comparison of different hertz
- 6 The best TVs for 2022 with different hertz
- 7 How to find the frequency on your TV
What is the sweep frequency, what are we talking about, what types of hertz are used in TVs
Before delving into the features of the concept, you need to determine for yourself what the screen refresh rate is, what it affects, why it is taken into account by manufacturers. Each manufacturer, who takes a responsible approach to their work, indicates the update parameters directly on the device, in the instructions or on the packaging. The most requested refresh rates are:
- 60 Hz.
- 120 and 100 Hz.
- 240 Hz.
Modern monitors and TVs also have an option equal to 480 Hz. It is important to first define what hertz is in a TV and what determines the refresh rate. In simple words, this is a certain number of times per second when the image is updated on the TV screen or computer monitor. An example, when 60 Hz is declared, then the image (the picture that a person sees) is updated 60 times per second. It is important to understand that the higher the refresh rate, the better the picture will be, and the smoother it will be perceived. In the case of TVs, the choice is presented in the following options:
- LCD technologies are the first developments introduced for LCD TVs and monitors. Image formation in this case is carried out using a special fluorescent backlight, which is referred to as CCFL. Such devices are able to give an average image quality. When choosing this matrix, you need to take into account that in order to avoid flicker, you need to choose a TV with 100 Hz and higher.
- LEDs are technically advanced LCD matrixes. TVs and monitors in this case are supplemented with a new image illumination system using reliable and practical LED diodes. They have higher contrast. It is necessary to pay attention to the fact that the placement of diodes over the screen area can be different. This determines the final image quality. It is labeled on devices as “Full LED”, “True LED” or “Direct LED”. In this case, the backlight will be evenly distributed over the entire area of the screen or monitor. If “Edge LED” is indicated, then this means that the diodes are located only in the end parts. Good image quality in this case will show a 50 Hz or 60 Hz TV.
- Plasma panel – for a high-quality image, it no longer requires additional illumination, since the cells are illuminated from ultraviolet rays that fall on the phosphors. Plasma delivers higher contrast and deeper, richer darks. It should be borne in mind that after a few years, the plasma cells begin to burn out gradually, which negatively affects the image quality.
- OLED is a modern technology that demonstrates excellent picture quality, deep and rich colors, and a variety of shades. Curved 200Hz TVs, ultra-thin panels, large home theater models, all of them in this case will give you comfort while watching TV or working at a computer.
The refresh rate of the TV screen is 120 or 60 Hz on TVs, comparing TV in dynamic scenes with different frame rates: https://youtu.be/R86dWrDnulg 50 frames per second. Digital video processing made it possible to copy each such frame and show it twice. Using this method, it was possible to develop a 100 hertz TV. The technology used in it allowed to eliminate flicker, which made the image smoother and more pleasing to the eye. Drawing additional frames to create a complete image is based on the analysis of past moments, which ensures high accuracy of the picture displayed on the screen. Objects moving at high speed, for example, will be sharp and not blurry in this case.
What affects the hertz in TVs
It’s also a good idea to know what the refresh rate of your TV screen affects. To do this, you need to understand how the process of shooting a video takes place. It captures a specific action that is happening at a given moment in time. The result is several still images, which are called frames. After their approach, you can visually observe the continuity in movement. In most cases, the frame rates of the analog stream (broadcast TV programs) are based on the frequency of the supplied electrical power. That is why the frame rates are different in the US, Russia or Europe. On some devices there are PAL or NTSC designations, on VCPs produced several decades ago, these are nothing more than regions where this technique can fully work. For example, PALs include the UK and much of Europe. There the frame rate will be 25 fps. NTSC regions refer to the US. Here the frequency is already 30 frames per second.
If the video is recorded on a standard film (not digitized), then only 24 frames will pass per second. Connecting an analog video stream is usually done to conserve the bandwidth used. This is relevant, for example, during the broadcast of the program. While the image is being transferred to the TV screen, the device will play the frames in the correct order. It turns out that the frequency of interlaced video in the PAL regions is 50 Hz, and in the NTSC regions it is 60 Hz. The refresh rate of the TV screen affects the smoothness of the picture and the absence of flicker.
It is important to bear in mind that the continuous development of technologies, their subsequent improvement leads to the fact that new models receive a clearer and more natural image.
Does the refresh rate affect performance?
You need to know not only what the refresh rate of the TV screen is, but also what functions this technology carries. The absence of flicker has a positive effect on eye health. When watching programs or movies for a long time, playing at a computer or working using a monitor, it is best to choose a device option where it is declared at less than 100 Hz. The performance in terms of technical excellence is not affected by the refresh rate of the screen. This technology is directly related to the visual component and beauty of the picture. Therefore, the answer to the question of whether monitor hertz affects computer performance is no, but in the case of image quality and eye safety, yes.
Which TV screen refresh rate is best for the eyes
When choosing a TV, the refresh rate becomes one of the main parameters by which its quality, reliability, modernity and suitability for long-term use are judged. Before purchasing, it is recommended to decide on what tasks you need a TV or monitor for. If the main task is to watch digital or cable TV channels, movies in HD quality, then it will be enough for an ordinary user to purchase a model with 60 Hz. In this case, a person will not notice a significant difference in terms of visual perception of the picture, if compared, for example, with 100 Hz. In the event that the device is intended to be used more as a monitor for video games or set-top boxes, as well as other entertainment components, as well as for watching movies with various special effects or high resolution,
Another option in which you need to pay attention to hertz is to use the TV to a greater extent to view dynamic scenes on the big screen. These include not only scenes in films, but also football and other sports matches, car races, any other high-speed events, dances, performances with a large number of moving elements. In this case, it is recommended to give preference to more expensive equipment and purchase a 200 hertz TV. It should be borne in mind that the more dynamic, faster the movement of the object or the tortuosity of the trajectory of its movement, the more visually noticeable the difference between devices at 60 and 120 Hz. If the video quality is initially low (for example, poor TV signal reception),
Comparison of different hertz
After it became clear what the number of hertz in a monitor or television screen affects, you need to compare various indicators. As an example, it is recommended to take the most popular option – 60 Hz and 120 Hz.
Standard transmissions can be reproduced with normal image quality by a 50 or 60 hertz TV. That is why the stream is usually broadcast with such indicators. In the case when the same stream is played on a TV that has 120 Hz performance, each frame contained in the stream will, in fact, be doubled. The user will end up with 120 frames per second. Modern TVs can switch from 120Hz to 60Hz refresh rate automatically. This requires only one condition to be met, that there is a video input signal, which is 60 frames per second. After a comparative analysis, it becomes clear that that you don’t need to buy a TV or monitor with a refresh rate of 120 Hz for normal viewing of streaming broadcasts – the average user will not notice the difference from 60 Hz. If the equipment is bought to create a game set, then it is optimal to use exactly 120 Hz, since in this case the image will turn out to be clearer and smoother, and the eyesight will not strain. The same applies to those cases when working at a computer / watching TV takes more than 2 hours a day.
The advantage of TVs and monitors with a declared screen refresh rate of 120 Hz will be increased picture clarity. Videos during playback look smoother on a 120Hz TV compared to a 60Hz device. Also, if you select a 120Hz TV, you can add motion interpolation to a 60Hz video source. TVs with higher ratings are used less frequently. They are installed, for example, in home theaters in order to achieve the greatest immersion in the picture, to see all possible colors and shades while working in various editors. https://gogosmart.pro/texnika/domashnij-kinoteatr/2-1-5-1-7-1.html
The best TVs for 2022 with different hertz
Finding the answer to the question for yourself, which TV screen refresh rate is better, more convenient, faster and easier using the ratings of the best smart TVs as an example. For 50-60 Hz, the top will be as follows:
- Model Irbis 20S31HD302B is a compact TV with a diagonal of 20 inches. HD screen resolution. There is LED backlighting and high-quality, deep and clear sound. The colors are bright and saturated, the picture quality is high. The cost is about 25,000 rubles.
- Model Xiaomi Mi TV 4S 55 T2 has a stylish and modern design, there are thin frames that allow you to fully immerse yourself in the image. There are stereo sound and bright LED backlight. As an additional plus – the function of Smart TV. The cost is about 90,000 rubles.
- Model Samsung T27H390SI – TV has a screen diagonal of 27 inches. Stereo sound and high-quality LED lighting are implemented. Modern features are collected in Smart TV technology. The cost is an average of 64,000 rubles.
Best TVs with 100-120Hz:
- Model Samsung UE50TU7090U 50 is presented with a stylish and fashionable design. It will delight you with rich colors and shades, rich sound. The screen diagonal is 50 inches. Resolution – full and high-quality HD. LED lighting is present. The cost is 218,000 rubles.
- Model Samsung UE65TU7500U LED – uses frameless technology, has a headphone jack. Smart TV functions, backlight and voice assistant are implemented. All known video and audio formats are supported. The cost is about 120,000 rubles.
- Model LG OLED55C9P – the TV has a stylish design and very small frames. The diagonal is 55 inches. All necessary connectors are present, most video and audio formats are supported. It is possible to connect to the Internet wirelessly. The cost is about 180,000 rubles.
For home use, 100 Hz TVs are the most acceptable, if we consider them in terms of cost and quality provided to the user. Models that have more than 200 hertz readings are intended for professional use. Their cost will be several times higher.
How to find the frequency on your TV
In order to purchase a TV model with the desired hertz values, it is important to pay attention. If the equipment is ordered in the online store, then you must read the description. It will contain this parameter. Also, such information is necessarily present in the instruction manual. It takes only a few minutes to find out the value specifically for a particular TV model. If at the time of purchase the user did not know this, then you can check the indicator already at home. To do this, you need to turn on the TV, and then go to the main menu and go to the settings. It will indicate how many hertz the purchased model produces.
In the case of a monitor for a computer, everything is also quite simple. You will need to go to the “screen resolution” section, then to “options”. After that, you will need to go to the “monitor” tab and the value that the purchased device is capable of issuing will be indicated there. For modern operating systems, the steps will be slightly different. You need to go to “settings”, go to “advanced settings”, then to “graphics adapter properties”, “monitor” and again “options”. After that, the characteristic that the user is looking for will appear.