EPG is an electronic TV guide for IPTV. It can be built-in or manually added. EPG provides the user with a TV program for the channels that are in his playlist. From the article you will learn in more detail about this function, its configuration, and you will find free working links to EPG TV guides.
EPG for IPTV Review
EPG is a TV program (guide) that is necessary for IPTV channels so that users can see the start time of the broadcast they are interested in, its name, genre and description. In short, EPG is a modern electronic analogue of newspapers with TV programs, which is embedded directly into the playlist.
The TV Guide will help you spend less time searching and viewing content. Just look into the program and view the broadcast information. Sometimes EPGs have references – a miniature image of what is currently on a particular channel.
In paid IPTV players, the EPG function is always built-in and you do not need to install anything additionally, and in more advanced versions there are also:
- parental control;
- broadcast recording – so that viewers can watch a program whose live broadcast on TV was missed (for example, the EDEM.TV service makes it possible to return to viewing after 4 days).
Usually EPG is displayed after changing the TV channel – at the bottom of the screen or on the side. The plate shows information about the content that is on the TV now and will be on in the near future. You can also watch the TV guide through the menu.
How to set up EPG for IPTV?
Knowledge about setting up EPG is needed only for those who use M3U playlists, taken in free Internet access, or create them on their own. For those who just want to watch TV channels over the network and do not plan to study this topic, you can install any IPTV player on Android or Windows with a customized guide. An M3U file without EPG looks like this:
- # EXTM3U
- #EXTINF: 0, Europa Plus TV #EXTGRP: music http://23acbfe8.ucomist.net/iptv/5K6RMPTM6L8S2Y/115/index.m3u8
- #EXTINF: 0, MUZ-TV #EXTGRP: music http://23acbfe8.ucomist.net/iptv/5K6RMPTM6L8S2Y/116/index.m3u8
- #EXTINF: 0, BRIDGE TV Russian Hit #EXTGRP: music http://23acbfe8.ucomist.net/iptv/5K6RMPTM6L8S2Y/120/index.m3u8
- #EXTINF: 0, Bridge TV #EXTGRP: music http://23acbfe8.ucomist.net/iptv/5K6RMPTM6L8S2Y/122/index.m3u8.
To add TV guide support to your playlist, do the following:
- Open the playlist file in any text editor (for example, in standard notepad on Windows or in Notepad ++).
- Change the first line marked # EXTM3U to: # EXTM3U url-tvg = “keep one of the links from the next section at this point.”
That’s the whole setup. In IP-TV Player, this playlist will be displayed as follows:
If there are channels for which the TV program was not found, change their names so that they match those specified in the XML file. It is easy to understand that the program for the TV channel was not found, it is just that the film / show that is currently running on it will not be displayed under its name.
All of these XML files will work for any .m3u playlist that you download from the Internet. Best Free EPG Working Guides:
We recommend using the first XML file because it supports the largest number of channels and always faithfully displays the TV schedule.
Simplified free EPG work guides:
These guides are intended for weak devices. There are a large number of channels, but minimal functionality.
The EPG autoloader is a plugin with which you can load a ready-made epg.dat in different versions. Users who have installed it receive the latest EPG directly into the receiver automatically. Plugin functions and capabilities:
- he himself downloads ready-made epg.dat in different versions from the server https://giclub.tv;
- if enigma2 removes epg.dat on restart, you can change the filename;
- viewing information about the date and time of the last epg.dat update;
- setting the time period since the last update, after which the plugin will check for fresh epg.dat.
You can download the plugin here – https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5UXmy-_ZZv5R09HbW5FbFJDX28/view?usp=sharing. After you have downloaded the “EPG Autoloader” plugin to your device, configure it. To do this, go to it and follow these steps:
- Enable auto-update by selecting “yes” next to the corresponding line.
- Paste the link http://epg.giclub.tv/epg/epg.datfull.gz in the Download Address field.
- Set the frequency of the check. For example, 30 minutes, 1 hour, etc.
- Opposite the box “Check availability” put “yes”.
- Click the “Save” button.
TV Guide Applications
You can not only embed EPG into the playlist itself, but also simply download a special application to your phone. For many users, the second method is more convenient. The best mobile TV guides for Android:
- TV Guide. TV program with all Russian TV channels. There are categories, program information and a schedule for the upcoming week. Direct download link in the Google Play Store – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=molokov.TVGuide.
- TV programm. A simple software tool that collects the latest information about TV shows, TV shows and movies every day. Direct download link in the Google Play Store – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.steeple.tv.program&hl=ru&gl=US.
- TV Control. This application has all the same features as the previous one, plus a dark interface theme that can be set through the settings. Direct download link in the Google Play Store – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.djaz.tv.
- Hope EPG / Pro Guide. For Russian TV channels. If you add a third-party EPG address, you can watch TV broadcasts in Ukraine, CIS countries and Europe. Direct download link on Google Play – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.umutlu.HopeEPGGuide&hl=ru&gl=US.
- Lotus Program Guide. A functional TV guide for users from Ukraine, Belarus and Europe. Direct download link on Google Play Store – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mahocan.LotusEPG.
If you use the services of official IPTV providers, then you will not need to additionally search and configure EPG. If you have free IPTV playlists at your disposal, to which TV guides are far from always attached, it will not be difficult to add them yourself. Follow the instructions carefully and you will succeed.