Smart TVs come with built-in cameras for Skype and video calls. If the Smart TV does not have a webcam, then it can be purchased separately and can be easily connected to the device. In this case, you can use not any camera, but one designed specifically for Smart TV.
Features of external webcams for Smart TV
Cameras created for Smart TV have the nuances of connection and operation. They start working after plugging into the USB connector and entering the Skype program. The program is automatically configured, after which it becomes available for making video calls and other options.
Smart cameras are compact, unobtrusive, match the design of modern TVs, and have a magnetic mount.
Manufacturers create webcams for Smart TVs, taking into account the level of illumination in a residential area. Usually, indoor lighting is weak, diffuse, but webcams transmit a clear picture in such conditions. Also, manufacturers take into account the presence of noise in the apartment and outside. The cameras are equipped with several microphones that perfectly filter out extraneous sounds, making communication at a distance of up to 4 meters from the screen as comfortable as possible.
Best webcams for Smart TV
A large number of Smart TV webcams from different manufacturers are sold in stores. With such a wide range, it is difficult to make the right choice. Each brand has pros and cons that you should definitely ask a sales assistant about. According to user reviews, these are the best cameras available for the price.
Smart TV Camera AN-VC400 from LG – for LV TVs
LG is a global technology manufacturer. The company supplies the market with webcams designed for installation exclusively on its TVs – LG Smart TV.
Users speak well of the LG AN-VC400 camera. Features of this device:
- 2-megapixel sensor;
- resolution 1200 × 780 pixels;
- the frequency of the second image change – 30 frames;
- the possibility of receiving stereo sound;
- USB connection;
- light weight (78 g).
TV Camera Samsung CY-STC1100 – webcam for Samsung smart TV
The South Korean manufacturer makes several webcams for its TVs. Choosing the best one is not easy. Of the inexpensive options, users prefer the Samsung CY-STC1100. The camera is ideal for rooms with low light levels. Sound and video remain clear even when the user is at the opposite end of the room.
- slim, sleek body (15 mm thick) that fits perfectly into the design of the Samsung TV;
- attachment to the TV by means of magnets;
- an auto focus camera that allows you to create videos in the H.264 compression format;
- matrix resolution of 1280 × 720 pixels;
- four built-in microphones that suppress background sounds at a distance of up to 4 m;
- the ability to encode voice messages while maintaining excellent sound quality using the Skype SILK decoder.
https://youtu.be/4r_zIQMGENI The Samsung camera is almost invisible when viewed from the front. Almost the entire body is hidden behind the TV. Only the panel with the lens is visible, which can be tilted for your convenience. When the user changes the position of the body, automatic focusing is activated, which makes communication on Skype comfortable.
Philips PTA317 – camera for Philips Smart TV
A camera with excellent picture quality that matches any Philips Smart TV Premium.
- a threefold increase in the picture, which allows you to get an excellent image regardless of the user’s location relative to the television screen;
- purity of sound when located anywhere in the room;
- creating a panoramic image, the ability to tilt – makes communication comfortable, even if the TV is obliquely from the chair
- focusing to infinity;
- conference call – an option that allows you to communicate via Skype simultaneously with several people, which is convenient for talking with friends and business communication;
- universal mount for Philips Smart TVs;
- 2 built-in microphones;
- Plug and Play system.
The echo cancellation system provided in the microphones allows the transmission of sound, cleared of extraneous noise. People communicating on Skype hear each other’s clear voices. https://youtu.be/UGLsfJyE3Tg
Connecting a webcam to a Smart TV: step by step instructions
The external webcam does not work with all TVs.
It is impossible to connect the camera to a TV that receives exclusively analog signal without using additional devices. The system unit can be used as an adapter. It connects to the USB interface of the webcam.
The purchased web device connects to the TV using the following method:
- The device is started using the installed driver. Installation in the computer is in progress. The CD with the program is included with the purchased camera.
- The TV is connected to the computer with a cable. An extension is selected in the settings that allows you to use the TV screen as a computer monitor.
- Driver installation starts.
- Parameters are set through the control panel to ensure the correct operation of the external camera.
- The device is located indoors so that it is convenient to use.
How to connect a webcam to a TV: https://youtu.be/5NvAfpfVGcw
If the cable is not long enough for the desired location, you can use a USB extension cable. It is not included in the package, it is purchased separately.
Using Skype via a TV is much more convenient than using a computer, because computer cameras do not provide the same good sound and visibility as television cameras. Finding an external webcam on the market that is suitable for a particular brand of TV with Smart TV functionality is not difficult today.