LG currently uses the modern webOS operating system on its TVs, which uses a variety of programs and
widgets to maximize the functionality of the device. You can not only use the already built-in applications, but also install and even create them yourself.
- What is webOS and how is it used on TV?
- Widgets for LG Smart TV: varieties and installation on WebOS
- What are the varieties
- Creating an LG account
- Installing Applications
- Removing applications and widgets from LV Smart TV
- Problems installing applications, how to avoid them
- The best applications for the webOS operating system on LV Smart TVs
- 1 What is webOS and how is it used on TV?
- 2 Widgets for LG Smart TV: varieties and installation on WebOS
- 3 Problems installing applications, how to avoid them
- 4 The best applications for the webOS operating system on LV Smart TVs
What is webOS and how is it used on TV?
The Web OS is an open source operating system based on the Linux kernel. It was originally used for smartphones or tablets. This development by Palm was first presented in early 2009. In 2013, the operating system was acquired by LG. She has been using the Web OS operating system on her Smart TV models since 2014.
The system is open source, so each user, with the appropriate skills, can create a program for the Web OS and put it on the network, which is the main difference between the Web OS and other operating systems. This favors the rapid filling of the application store with all kinds of developments to expand the capabilities of
LG Smart TV .
Ordinary users of LV TVs are able to connect to their own TV with Smart TV function and Web OS operating system, any additional devices and make appropriate settings. The presence of a built-in animated assistant, tips and other necessary accompanying information helps users in the initial configuration of all services and in performing the necessary actions. The operating system itself is able to determine the presence of connected devices and offers a menu with regard to possible operations. As soon as a new cable is connected, a window immediately appears to switch to the detected signal. Operating system Web OS has an interface that is a ribbon at the bottom of the screen with the ability to scroll to select the required program or service. Viewing is available not only on-air,but also internet channels as well as playing media files. Users can, without returning to the main menu, select terrestrial and satellite channels, streaming video from any Internet resource or surf the Internet. https://youtu.be/EOG0mNn4IXw
There is a possibility of simultaneous execution of several tasks. This means, for example, that without interrupting watching movies, you can communicate in social networks.
When developing the system, much attention was paid to the use of social networks, Web 2.0 and multitasking in general. You can open some applications at the same time, and minimize others if necessary. Thanks to the Web OS operating system, using Smart TV has become much easier. In a friendly interface, all the necessary actions are available in a couple of clicks – even beginners who have no experience of using Smart TV can figure it out. The operating system webOS is equipped with standard software for working with personal data. After the installation is complete, the user can start familiarizing himself with the interface by selecting a suitable broadcast source on the remote control and opening the main window. Watch a video review of the LG webOS operating system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrR22mikLUU
Widgets for LG Smart TV: varieties and installation on WebOS
Widgets will help to expand the number of TV functions, to make its menu as adapted as possible to the tastes of a particular user. Widgets are graphic modules, small and lightweight applications that carry out corresponding functions (for example, displaying the date, time, exchange rates, weather, TV programs). They are in the form of shortcuts to facilitate access to applications. The Web OS operating system has support for both small widgets with programs and more essential ones.
What are the varieties
By their intended purpose, applications can belong to different groups:
- social network;
- IPTV ;
- educational sites;
- internet telephony;
- weather widgets;
- programs for viewing films and clips in 3D and adapted to search for specific videos.
In addition to the applications offered by the manufacturer, it is possible to download new ones.
Widgets can be classified according to the following parameters:
- global (used by clients all over the world);
- local (used in a separate region).
Creating an LG account
To create an account, the TV must have Internet access. Then you will need to register to create an account:
- From the remote control, you need to use the button with the image of the house.
- In the upper right corner, select the gear to open the settings.
- Select the icon with three vertical dots.
- On the panel that appears, select “General”.
- When you open the next section, you need to find “Account Management”.
- Next is “Create an account”. To continue the process, you need to check all the proposed items.
- Next comes the confirmation of your actions.
- To complete the process, you must specify your e-mail address (later this will be your login for authorization in the system), your password and your date of birth (the functionality may be limited if you enter it). Then click “OK”.
- A letter will be sent to the specified mail. Next, you need to confirm the registration, as stated in the letter.
If all the above actions are performed correctly, an account will be created. Log in to the system using the data you just created, using your e-mail and password. If you have your own account, downloading various widgets from the market will become available
If the service will be installed using the LG store, you should find out if there is an Internet connection. In the future, the following actions are performed:
- Go to the TV menu by pressing the button with the image of the house on the remote control.
- In the lower right corner of the screen at the end of the “carousel” there will be an icon with three oblique lines. Click on it.
- Choose LG Content Store.
- Select the Apps & Games category on the right and a list of available apps will appear on the screen.
You can also use the search. To do this, at the top of the screen, lower the “curtain” with the button up on the PU and select “Search”. Enter your query and click OK.
- Having selected the application of interest, you need to click the “Install” button. If the program is provided on a paid basis, then certain payment methods will be listed.
Some applications are completely free, others are available for a fee. If a certain program is selected, its cost will be indicated in the message that appears on the screen.
When this procedure is completed, the new applications will be listed in the general list of programs. Usually additional settings are not needed, the widget can be used immediately. How to install the application on webOS LG Smart TV is shown in the video clip at the beginning of this article (watch from 1:20). If you are doing a manual installation, you will need a program to display IPTV. Then you need to make sure that the downloaded file is compatible with the operating system of the TV receiver. If these requirements are met, you should perform the following steps:
- Download the required download file from the Internet. Unzip it.
- Format the USB flash drive and drop the application folder onto it.
- Insert the USB stick into the USB port of the Smart TV.
- Press the remote control button with the image of the house. At the top right, click on the plug icon, and then select USB. This will display the information contained on the flash drive.
- You need to select the desired file and start the installation process.
- When you follow these steps, the program will be downloaded to TV.
Installing Apps for LG Smart TV: https://youtu.be/mvV2UF4GEiM This is an example of installing third-party apps on your TV. This method is a little longer than the previous one, but should not cause problems. The only thing to keep in mind is that you can buy and download applications using both TV and PC, but they will only go on TV. How to install ForkPlayer app on LG SMART TV webos: https://youtu.be/rw8yFuDpbck
Please be aware that the TV may run out of space if you install a large number of applications and games. In this case, you will need to connect an external data storage device.
Removing applications and widgets from LV Smart TV
If the installed widget is not needed or there is not enough memory on the device, then the application can be uninstalled. To do this, go to the TV menu and go to the section with installed services. From the list you need to select what is not needed and press the “Delete” button. The program will be automatically removed.
Problems installing applications, how to avoid them
During the installation of the Webos application, some difficulties may arise. Problems during installation are possible for the following reasons:
- the TV is not connected to the network;
- incompatibility of the application with the firmware version;
- there is not enough free memory to complete the installation;
- the user is not logged into the account.
If the program for some reason does not load, then you can use it online by visiting the official page of the application, found using the search engine.
If you cannot solve the problem on your own, then it is better to contact a specialist.
The best applications for the webOS operating system on LV Smart TVs
At the moment there is a wide selection of all kinds of Web OS programs. The most popular applications include:
- YouTube is the most popular video viewing service;
- Ivi.ru is a popular online cinema with a wide range of free films;
- Skype is a common application for communicating with friends and family;
- Gismeteo – a weather forecast widget;
- Smart IPT – viewing channels using IP-television technology;
- 3D World – watching movies in 3D;
- DriveCast – cloud storage management;
- Skylanders Battlegrounds – addicting 3D game;
- Sportbox – free sports news;
- Bookshelf – diverse literature;
- Smart Chef – culinary instructions for preparing various dishes;
- Vimeo – a service with all kinds of videos;
- Megogo – new movies.
https://youtu.be/dAKXxykjpvY The above are the most popular programs. On the Internet, you can find other applications according to your own preferences. Installing webOS applications is possible on any LG TV with Smart TV functionality. Many owners of such devices have already appreciated the simplicity and ease of use. A wide selection of widgets and constant replenishment of their store will satisfy any request.