When a user hears the abbreviation DVB, he may not always know what is meant. This abbreviation stands for Digital Video Broadcasting. Usually referred to DVB S, DVB S2, DVB T, DVB T2, DVB C. Additional designations speak about the method of receiving channels. DVB T and DVB T2 provide terrestrial television reception. DVB C works with digital TV. The abbreviations DVB S and DVB S2 refer to satellite television. The DVB S2 standard is a newer and better option compared to DVB S.
Combo receiver working with dvb t2 dvb s2 standards [/ caption]
What is the difference between them
Each TV is capable of working with the standards specified by the manufacturer. This means that from a technical point of view, by connecting a cable from the appropriate source to the appropriate connector, a television receiver can provide high-quality source reception. In practice, obtaining video is complicated by the fact that the quality of the incoming signal may not be high enough. This will prevent you from getting good picture and sound. For example, this situation arises if the satellite tuning is done poorly. Another problem has to do with channel encryption. In some cases, in order to be able to view certain programs, you need to pay for them to the provider. It will issue either a receiver capable of receiving them or a CAM card that will automatically decode the video and make it available for viewing.The use of DVB S2 provides users with the following advantages:
- DVB S is the most common standard for watching satellite TV. The high quality of the display brings the more serious to the nodes that provide reception. DVB S2 provides better reception quality.
- Some channels broadcast only in DVB S2. Having the ability to view only DVB S, you cannot access them. Thus, if the user wants to have access to modern broadcast channels with high quality, he will need to focus on using the new option.
- Information transfer rate is 30% higher.
- Using DVB S2, the user gets access to more HD channels.
The use of the new standard is more economical in terms of energy costs.
Receiver supporting dvb s2, dvb s standards [/ caption]
What DVB S2 is capable of
The DVB S2 tuner has a higher quality of work. It is able to provide the owner with the following benefits:
- It can easily support standard television viewing along with regular television.
- The standard in question is, in contrast to DVB S, two-way. It not only allows receiving information from the satellite, but also transmitting it in the opposite direction. This allows you to use it to get satellite Internet access.
- This tuner allows other devices to connect to the Internet.
- Reduces the level of distortion when receiving a satellite signal.
- The risk of freezing while watching an image or sound is eliminated.
Communication using this option is faster and more reliable. If there is a built-in tuner, this makes it possible to watch unencrypted channels. Typically, these are no more than 10 percent of their number. To view the rest, you will need to purchase a CAM card from the provider. If the setup is done correctly, it becomes possible to view open channels from several providers. This allows access to a significant number of transmissions. By purchasing a TV with a built-in tuner, the user saves on the purchase of a receiver. In addition, this reduces the use of unnecessary wires in the apartment. The disadvantage of DVB S2 is still its low prevalence. At the same time, the number of such channels is constantly growing, making the connection more and more profitable.
Modulator working with IPTV, satellite TV standards – DVB S, S2, T, T2 [/ caption]
How to find out if the TV supports the DVB S2 standard
Most modern TVs are capable of handling the new standard. In this case, if the channel is not encrypted, it is enough to insert the cable, configure the device and you can start viewing. If the television receiver does not work with this standard, then it will not be possible to view the programs in this way. This requires a special attachment – a receiver. The user will be interested to know if the device he bought can work with DVB S2. Information about this can be found in the operating instructions or on the manufacturer’s website. The built-in reception standards will be indicated there without fail. If there is a standard in question in the list, then you do not need to buy a receiver to receive it. When buying, the answer to this question can be obtained from the seller. If the TV has a connector for the cable from the antenna on the back.This in itself does not mean that it is possible to receive satellite TV. We can only talk about terrestrial or digital.
Solution for DVB-S2-IP transcoder [/ caption]
How to connect and configure satellite TV via DVB S2 standard
To connect to satellite television, the user must decide whether the free channels are enough for him. If he expects to expand his capabilities, it is necessary to select the appropriate provider and determine which package is planned to be purchased. Before connecting directly, you need to do the following:
- Contact the provider and sign a contract with him.
- Get a CAM card from him to access the selected channel package.
- If necessary, you need to purchase a receiver that supports DVB S2.
- Insert the Smart Card into the appropriate slot and register it with the provider.
After completing these steps, you need to wait until the registration data is updated. Now you need to directly connect and configure the channels. To do this, follow these steps:
- On the back of the TV, you need to insert the cable from the satellite dish into the socket provided for it on the back.
- In order to tune the channels, you need to start their search.
- At first, only one work item with the word “Search” will be visible in the settings.
- Next, you will need to specify the signal source. As you know, television broadcasting can be terrestrial, satellite or digital. In the case under consideration, it is required to indicate that we are talking about a satellite, by checking the required line.
- Each satellite channel is associated with a specific satellite. It is required to indicate which one and set its parameters.
- On the satellite selection screen, you can navigate through those already in the TV’s memory. For each of them, you can see the name and the frequency used. If you click on the “Change satellite settings” button, you can correct its parameters. The page will indicate the quality of the signal received from it. If necessary, you can add a new satellite by clicking on the corresponding button.
- Next, you will need to specify the parameters for the search. There are three options here: “Skip encrypted channels”, “Search network” and “Blind search”. All three fields can be left unchecked.
- You need to click on the “Execute” button. After that, the channel search will be performed for some time. The user can wait for the end or interrupt it. In both cases, the found channels will be saved.
After the scan is completed, you can reopen the settings and go to the “Channels” section. If necessary, you can view the list and their parameters, as well as perform the final editing of the channel settings.
Possible setup problems
Here’s how to set up in most cases. Usually it happens automatically, making it possible to start watching TV programs in the near future. However, sometimes problems can arise during the setup process. The most common ones are the following:
- Incorrectly tuned antenna. If it is not directed accurately, it will cause a sharp decrease in signal quality. If the user is faced with this, he must ensure that it is directed in the right direction.
- Using the receiver, errors may occur when connecting it.
- Sometimes the card provided by the CAM provider does not provide quality contact. In this case, you need to place it correctly in the connector.
- Sometimes the TV uses outdated firmware. In this case, it must be updated to the most recent one.
- In some cases, signal problems can arise due to a technical failure of the transmitter. In this case, it is recommended to call the provider and clarify the situation.
Usually, with correct connection, problems are associated with random circumstances. To find a solution, you need to check the set parameters or the health of the existing equipment again.
How to find out if your TV has a satellite tuner
Information on the availability of a satellite tuner is contained in the technical documentation for the TV. You can see it yourself or go to the manufacturer’s website and study the data presented there.