Satellite TV is able to get to the most secluded corners of the planet, where there are no usual providers and broadcasting towers. Existing compact systems can be installed anywhere. The satellite dish will provide a colorful and clear picture. Confident reception depends on settings and technical equipment. The cable for the “plate” is capable of both improving and maintaining quality indicators, and lowering the potential with the wrong choice.
Satellite dish cable device
What is a satellite TV cable for:
- bring the signal from the antenna to the TV with minimal losses;
- protect against external electromagnetic interference;
- maintain performance under mechanical stress, in difficult weather conditions.
The coaxial cable copes with the tasks. Suitable for broadcasting (reception through a TV tower or indoor antenna) and for satellite. Therefore, there are no differences in design. Only different materials of manufacture are used. How the coaxial cable works
- Conductive core (center wire). It is performed in one piece or hollow. The material is copper, aluminum, steel and silver-plated alloys.
- Insulation (internal). Dielectric.
- Screen (aluminum foil). Protects against external electromagnetic interference.
- Copper braid. Additional shielding functions.
- Outer shell. Protection against mechanical stress and natural factors.
Main characteristics of coaxial cable for satellite dish
As an electrical signal conductor, the product is endowed with technical and physical features.
Center wire diameter
The laws of electrical engineering state that alternating current mostly spreads over the surface of a conductor. The smallest potential is near the center. Therefore, the thicker the conductor, the less attenuation that affects the range. Standard diameter of the center wire for a television antenna: 0.5-1 mm. For a “plate” you need at least 1 mm.
Center core [/ caption]
The unit of measurement is Ohms (Ohm). For TV and satellite dishes, 75 ohms is used. This is the input impedance of the connector into which the cable is connected. Inconsistency in the numbers will lead to a decrease in the current potential. In the absence of equal wire resistances, it is possible to connect with different characteristics over short distances. For example, in a private house.
How coax works
Based on the appearance of an electromagnetic wave inside the cable. The diameters of the central core and the shield are selected in such a way that signal losses are minimized. The braid prevents the field from leaving the wire, creating a kind of waveguide.
What to look for when choosing a cable to connect a satellite dish to a TV
The satellite dish is an outdoor appliance. Part of the cable line is laid in an open area. Important features of the choice of coaxial.
Outer sheath material
A polyethylene base is recommended, which is less susceptible to complex factors: bad weather, temperature extremes. The budget version of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) will not save you from cracks in the cold, which destroy the insulation. Subsequently, moisture gets inside, causing a short circuit. The equipment will malfunction. Manufacturers offer coaxials with special impregnation for difficult conditions.
Internal insulation structure
Satellite broadcasting has a propagation feature – a direct line of sight between the radiation source and the antenna is required. A swaying branch of a tree, a nearby structure, dense snow falling can cause a lot of trouble. It is important to maintain the current level of signal reception and bring it to the receiver. In addition to the television signal, converter control commands are transmitted via the cable. You should opt for a product with a double inner screen: braid (mesh) and the presence of a layer of aluminum foil.
Bending capacity of the cable
The possibility of a straight line laying is rarely provided. Therefore, it is recommended to determine the reaction of the wire to break.
Checking the cable for break [/ caption] The sharp corner of the outer sheath indicates low mechanical stability. Internal components are loose against the insulation. A rounded break indicates the strength of the structure, the close adjoining of the wire elements. Standard thickness of coaxial for satellite dish: 6 mm.
Preparing the cable for installation
Experienced experts say that electricity is the science of contacts. Violation of the integrity of the connection nullifies the work of laying the line.
How to equip the cable for connection
If the distance from the receiver to the satellite dish is up to 10-15 meters, then it is possible to purchase a ready-made sample with connectors. If necessary, connectors are used. An F contact of the following shape is put on the end of the wire.
F pin [/ caption] The connector is marked (example): Plug
F (nut) on RG-6 (zinc) (F113-55). Main indicator: RG-6. This means that it is intended for an RF cable with an outer insulation diameter of 6 mm. How to properly fix the F-connector on the coax is shown in the video: https://youtu.be/4geyGxfQAKg Stripping the cable for a satellite dish:
What to look for when installing a cable line
Before buying a wire, it is necessary to clarify the length of the route, difficult sections.
Important! The installation should be done “forever”, without further modifications and leaving “for later”.
- Avoid sharp bending angles.
- When exiting the wall to the street, make a loop directed downward. Moisture in the rain will drip, and not drain into the hole along the shell.
- When installing through a wooden window frame, drill a passage with a diameter larger (1 mm) than the thickness of the cable.
- The plastic frame is “not to perforate”. When sealed, the structure can be filled with gas like a glass unit. Use the gap between the window and the wall, filled with polyurethane foam. Often, such a conclusion is obtained from the bottom of the windowsill.
- In the room, hide the wiring in a plastic box or in skirting boards with cable channels.
- Do not lay together with electric wires, near powerful devices and equipment. This can become a source of interference.
- Seal the exit points to open areas. Lines on external vertical surfaces should not sag and sway freely in windy conditions.
- Avoid multiple connections through connectors whenever possible.
How to check the integrity of a laid coaxial cable
It happens that the image quality has decreased, there are ripples on the screen, color
stripes or the picture is decomposed into small squares. Distorted sound.
Finding the site of damage using the existing equipment
The likelihood of fault localization increases with the use of multiple signal sources. Possible reasons for the deterioration of the image quality or the loss of the signal are considered professionally in the video: https://youtu.be/gYy2R_1W9Zs How to check the satellite dish cable: https://youtu.be/pmQ9oOzqoYo After the damaged area is identified, a physical check of the cable is carried out.
Use of portable devices
You will need a home tester (multimeter), which allows you to visually (acoustically) determine the integrity of the central core and the absence of a short circuit with the screen.
The procedure for checking several consecutive sections on the highway:
- Disconnect (unscrew) the wire from the articulation point closest to the room.
- Disassemble the connectors by freeing the shields and center conductors.
- Prepare the device for resistance measurement (according to the instructions).
- Check the line towards the antenna. Attach the test leads to the central core and the metal sheath. Important. The conductors must not touch. If the core is in good condition, the device will show a value different from one, but not zero. When closed, the readings will tend to zero (or show 0), and an acoustic signal will appear (if provided by the device design). The multimeter will not respond to an open circuit, leaving the value 1 unchanged.
- Similarly, check the wire towards the room. The cable to the receiver must be connected.
An example of a dialing is suggested in the video: https://youtu.be/k0fS-doHtDY
Popular brands of coaxial cable for satellite dish
Among the assortment there are both budget and expensive brands. Which cable is the best for the cymbal? An overview of popular designs, as well as their advantages and disadvantages.
Widespread domestic cable.
The cross-section of the central wire varies between 0.75-1.63 sq. mm, outer sheath made of foamed polyethylene. Advantages:
- conditions of use: – / + 60 gr. FROM.
- options with a single-layer braided shield are possible.
Made in China. Analogue of RK-75. Copper central core (1 mm) or copper-plated steel core.
- double shielding;
- for the frequency range up to 3 GHz (satellite broadcasting channels).
- external PVC insulation is suitable only for internal routing.
Italian coaxial brand. Increased conductive properties for long distance mounting. Double shield, copper conductor 1 mm thick.
- mid-price cable with improved characteristics;
- conditions of use are suitable for most regions of Russia.
- soft shell (sags at large distances between attachment points).
Improved analogue of SAT-50. Central core diameter: 1.13 mm. Reduced signal propagation losses over long distances.
- resistance to difficult weather conditions;
- laying length from 50 meters.
- the minimum bending diameter is 35-40 mm.
Experts mark it as the best for the satellite broadcasting range. The protective properties of the screen are close to 90 dB, which completely excludes the influence of external electromagnetic interference.
- durability, reliability
- immune to aggressive conditions;
- insignificant signal attenuation.
Most Frequently Asked Questions
Which core is better: copper or steel? Copper has the best electrical conductivity. The center conductor can be of other alloys. This does not degrade performance, since copper is applied to the surface.
What is the difference between a wire with black and white outer insulation? Until recently, it was believed that the light cable was intended for indoor wiring, the black cable for outdoor areas. Modern brands do not correspond to this gradation. It is recommended to check when purchasing.
The seller said the cable was “low frequency”, what does that mean? The conductive properties of the core will introduce attenuation for satellite channels operating in a higher range.
Can a 50 ohm cable be connected if there is no 75 ohm wire?At small distances (up to 10 meters) between the satellite dish and the receiver is allowed. A high-quality signal depends on many factors. The correct choice of cable helps to improve performance without additional use of amplifiers when installing the line.