When setting up
satellite TV, it is important to accurately determine the direction of the antenna. Fine tuning will allow you to receive a stable and high-quality signal. To watch satellite channels, the tuning must be done practically without error.
To correctly install a satellite dish and get a high-quality clear signal, you need to calculate several important parameters, it is very difficult to do this without special programs, having an application at hand – even for beginners [/ caption] The use of smartphones and computers is almost ubiquitous. Special programs have become widespread that allow you to determine the
azimuth, direction and angle of elevation, in accordance with which the satellite dish should be installed, depending on the location of the subscriber.
Calculation of the elevation and azimuth when installing a satellite dish [/ caption] In practice, a wizard for installing and
configuring satellite televisionuses specialized equipment for this setting. However, it is not always possible to use the services of appropriate specialists. The program for a smartphone or computer will allow you to configure satellite TV yourself. Such applications will help you find the direction to the desired satellite and tell you how to make the desired adjustment if it changes. Accuracy is affected by computational errors and magnetic fields of instruments in the immediate vicinity.
With the help of special programs, you can determine the azimuth, height and angle of inclination of the direction of the satellite dish to the satellite [/ caption]
- 1 What types of programs exist
- 2 Antenna Tuning Programs
- 2.1 Software for setting up a satellite dish using a computer
- 2.2 Satfinder – a program for configuring a satellite TV antenna for Android
- 2.3 Dishpointer is another handy dish setting app
- 2.4 Multifid for setting up multifeed for offset and direct focus satellite dishes
- 2.5 How to set up a satellite dish using your phone – iPhone
- 3 How to set up a signal using the example of one popular program
- 4 Questions and answers
What types of programs exist
The applications used to configure satellite equipment are designed to accurately indicate the direction to the satellite. If the antenna is installed in the right direction, then the user is guaranteed a high-quality picture. Different types of programs provide tuning for different types of antennas. Some applications work only with the most common cymbal designs –
offset and direct focus . However, there are programs that work with more complex types of antennas. In most cases, only one signal source is tuned, but there are programs that allow you to simultaneously tune to several satellites.
Antenna Tuning Programs
Fine tuning can be done using a user’s smartphone or from a computer or laptop. To do this, you need to download and install one of the specialized programs.
Software for setting up a satellite dish using a computer
You can use the Fast Satfinder program to configure satellite equipment.
The program can be downloaded from the link https://www.fastsatfinder.com/download.html. There are only minimum requirements to install and run. To work, you need 256 megabytes of RAM, as well as the operating system Windows XP or later. To configure, you need to connect a satellite dish to a computer or laptop through an appropriate converter.
The program is paid, but during the first seven days the user can use it for free.
The setting is done as follows:
- Before starting work, the necessary equipment must be connected. After starting the application, a list of available devices will be shown in the corresponding section. You need to select the one you want and click.
- The program will automatically search for available satellites.
- You need to choose a satellite, a transponder and everything that is needed for work. The exact value of the corresponding parameters will appear on the screen.
The free version allows you to fully customize your equipment. In a paid service, the user can additionally get the ability to remotely control equipment.
Satfinder – a program for configuring a satellite TV antenna for Android
One of the most famous programs of this kind is
SatFinder . It allows you to accurately determine the direction and angle of the antenna to receive a high-quality signal from the satellite. When using it, you can use the following functionality:
- Here is a list of all satellites that are broadcasting TV.
- A list of channels is available from which you can choose the appropriate ones.
- In the process of tuning, the results obtained can be displayed numerically or shown on a map.
- You can see the azimuth of the direction to the desired satellite.
- Good performance even on low-powered gadgets.
- The height and angle of the converter will be specified using the data
Clark’s belt – location of satellites on the Satfinder interface [/ caption] To download the application, you need to do the following:
- Go to Google Play.
- In the search bar, type the name of the program “SatFinder”.
- In the list of search results, you need to go to the program page.
- You need to click on the “Install” button. After that, the program will be downloaded to your smartphone and installed.
You can download the program via a direct link to Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.esys.satfinder This program does not have a translation of the interface into Russian, but the interface is simple enough for that to use it correctly. For its operation, you need Android version 4.0 or newer. To use the application, your smartphone must have: Internet access, a built-in compass, a connected GPS, a working camera. If any of the above is missing, then some of the program’s functions will not work.
SatFinder requests permission to use GPS [/ caption]
Dishpointer is another handy dish setting app
Dishpointer – This program is similar in functionality to SatFinder. One of its advantages is the high accuracy in determining the position of the satellites. When determining the necessary data, it is able to use not only the GPS signal, but also the data of mobile operators.
Although the latter can help in some cases, the data obtained with their help will be less accurate. As a disadvantage, it can be considered as a whole paid and relatively high cost of the program. You can download the Dishpointer program for setting up a satellite dish for free at https://apkpure.com/ru/satellite-finder-dishpointer-pro/satfinder.satellitedish.apps.satdetector.
Multifid for setting up multifeed for offset and direct focus satellite dishes
The Multifid application is capable of working with satellite antenna models of non-standard configurations. This feature is rarely seen in such programs. The setup process is based only on the GPS data received by the gadget. To obtain information, there is no need for a video camera on the gadget. This makes it possible to perform customization even on fairly old smartphones.
With this program, you can tune one antenna to multiple satellites. The program performs customization using special principles of work, which makes it a little unusual for users. You can download the program at https://trashbox.ru/topics/18034/multifid-2.1. The disadvantage of the program is a rather complicated and cumbersome interface. To work successfully with the application, you need to understand well how it works. The program is paid, but the price can be considered moderate. Application for setting up satellite dishes for a smartphone: https://youtu.be/AKI6AhCLS4I
How to set up a satellite dish using your phone – iPhone
There is a version of the well-known SatFinder that can be used on the iPhone (https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/satfinder/id397993104).
SatFinder on iPhone [/ caption] This program is available in the AppStore. It can be found using a search by specifying the name of the application. In terms of its functionality, it does not differ in basic matters from the version that was created for smartphones on Android.
How to set up a signal using the example of one popular program
Work with SatFinder is carried out as follows:
- After launching, you will be asked for permission to access the GPS data, to which you will need to answer in the affirmative. The signal must be strong enough for the program to accurately determine the coordinates of the location. In some cases, this will require leaving the building to the street. SatFinder requests permission to use GPS [/ caption]
- At the top of the screen, click on the magnifying glass icon. By typing the name of the desired one, you need to start the search.
- The program will automatically display the required azimuth and slope. The direction to the satellite will be indicated on the map as a red line. The green line will indicate the direction of the equipment being tuned. If they match, it means that the setting is complete.
The user should check the direction received and position the antenna as desired. The map can also be opened by clicking on the book icon. For convenience, it can be rotated in a more convenient way. Details on setting up equipment through the interface of the Satfinder application:
Setting up the Satfinder dish In the main menu of the program there are several sections that are designed for the following:
- If you go to Show AR , the direction to the satellite will be aligned with the camera. This will help you to see exactly the right direction and make sure there are no obstacles to receiving the signal.
- The “Geocoder” option makes it possible to get the data required for configuration at another point. Not where the user is currently located. To do this, you need to open Google maps and make a long press on the point for which you need to get information.
- “Settings” allows you to change some of the characteristics of the program. For example, you can set north on the map to always point upward on the screen.
- This program also has a paid version. In order to go to it, you need to open the “Go Pro” section .
- In “Channels” the user can go to sites where lists of satellites that broadcast are provided.
Since the program is supplied in English, in the “Help” section you can find a description of the program’s operation in this language.
Help Section [/ caption] The user can add his own data to the official lists of satellites. Custom lists can be created as text files, in which each line consists of a code and coordinates, separated by commas. Application for configuring MTS satellite dishes: https://youtu.be/rkd9I2do3fI Another popular program for installing and configuring satellite dishes Satellite Antenna Alignment (download the installation file of the latest version for free at https://satellite-antenna-alignment.ru. uptodown.com/windows/download):
Questions and answers
Q: Could the software be more efficient than the specialized hardware used by professional customizers? Answer: No, as it requires certain hardware capabilities that are not available in smartphones or computers.
Question: Why do we need programs for setting up satellite television? Answer: They indicate the exact direction to the satellite that is broadcasting. This requires knowing the azimuth and tilt angle.
Question: How accurately is it necessary to tune the antenna? Answer: This must be done as precisely as possible. A deviation of only one or two millimeters (and in fact degrees) excludes obtaining a high-quality picture.